Last week I shared the first of our fundamentals of Humanism and how it is expressed in our work. Here's the second fundamental.
2. Humanism is rational. It seeks to use science creatively, not destructively. Humanists believe that the solutions to the world’s problems lie in human thought and action rather than divine intervention. Humanism advocates the application of the methods of science and free inquiry to the problems of human welfare. But Humanists also believe that the application of science and technology must be tempered by human values. Science gives us the means but human values must propose the ends.
Importantly, Humanism recognizes that reason isn't an end in itself but rather a means to improve human welfare. This reflects back on the first principle that humanism is ethical.
This past weekend was the second March for Science. I spoke at last year's event as part of this commitment to science and human values. We have also spoken out against creationism and pseudoscience, supported efforts for clinical trial transparency and the importance of science in public policy.
Annual General Meeting
Our 2018 Annual General Meeting will be held on Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM at the Oakridge Seniors' Centre in Vancouver. Doors open at 10:00 AM.
At our AGM, we will elect new directors to our board. The Board consists of 5-8 Directors, who are elected for two-year terms. The Board meets approximately every one to two months to oversee the governance of the Association and to set strategy.
New on our website
- A university president apologizes for academia's role in residential schools from The Conversation
Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 05:00 PM
- Humanist Happy Hour at Mahony & Sons False Creek, Vancouver
Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: The proportional representation debate at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 09:30 AM
- Comox Valley meeting at Quality Foods meeting room, Courtenay
Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 07:00 PM
- Book Club: Democracy and its Crisis by AC Grayling at Goldis' Home, Vancouver
Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Annual General Meeting 2018 at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver