The fifth fundamental of Humanism says:
Humanism is a response to the widespread demand for an alternative to dogmatic religion. The world’s major religions claim to be based on revelations fixed for all time, and many seek to impose their world-views on all of humanity. Humanism recognizes that reliable knowledge of the world and ourselves arises through a continuing process of observation, evaluation and revision.
Humanism is not an anti-religious worldview. Rather, we challenge the claims and authority of religious orthodoxy, particularly when it conflicts with the values we've discussed over the past few weeks. I like to say we set our sights on the ways religion and religious worldviews are often privileged in our society.
More importantly though, this paragraph is framed in the positive. It mentions what Humanism isn't about - fixed revelation or dogma - but ends with what Humanism is about - providing an alternative based on the scientific method.
New board members
Yesterday was our Annual General Meeting and despite the BMO Marathon shutting down large portions of Vancouver, we still had over 30 people come out.
In addition to re-electing incumbent board members Dan Hanna and Colin Crabbe, Josie Timewell, Kirsten Brawn and Kiana Dashtbazi were acclaimed to the board of directors.
I hope you'll join me in thanking Josie, Kirsten and Kiana for stepping up - as well as our other board members Dan, Colin, JB Bell, Nigel Fish and Donna Barker for continuing to serve.
Kelowna Atheists, Skeptics & Humanists Association affiliates
Starting today, you'll begin seeing events from our newest local group affiliate KASHA, the Kelowna Atheists, Skeptics and Humanists Association in our weekly newsletters. You can find all upcoming KASHA events on our website or directly through their website at askuskelowna.ca. There you can also sign up for their (separate) email newsletter.
Welcome to the growing BCHA family KASHA!
New on our website
- [KASHA] Critical Thinking Parents' Discussion Group at Capital News Centre, Kelowna
Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- [Vancouver] Vancouver Sunday Meeting: L A Dixon - Exploring Steven Pinker's Brand of Optimism at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Monday, May 14, 2018 at 07:00 PM
- [KASHA] Skeptics in the Pub at Social 242 Lounge, Kelowna
Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 08:30 AM
- [KASHA] Secular Humanist Thinkers Cafe at Urban Fare Cafe Mission Park, Kelowna
Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 07:00 PM
- [Grassroots] Skeptics in the Pub Downtown at Yagger's Downtown, Vancouver
Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 06:30 PM
- [KASHA] Fake News, the New Media and Freedom to Read - Dr Andrew Irvine at Okanagan Regional Library - Kelowna Branch, Kelowna
Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- [Vancouver] Vancouver Sunday Meeting: Molly Babel - Speech perception & production at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 02:00 PM
- [Grassroots] Langley & Maple Ridge Humanists Meetup at Mad Italian Pizza, Langley