Last year, over 4500 Canadians, including 1500 British Columbians, signed a petition calling for Canada's blasphemy law to be repealed.
In January, the Minister responded to say the law was under review and last week presented a bill to remove blasphemous libel from Canada's Criminal Code.
While this section is mostly dormant, repealing it will ensure it can't be reactivated, as happened recently in Denmark, and can send a signal to theocratic states that are prosecuting their citizens for blasphemy.
The bill also includes a number of other provisions to clean up the Criminal Code and strengthen protections for victims of sexual assault.
This is a good first step but we'll need to keep pressure up until this bill receives Royal Assent.
New on our website
Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: David Shiffman - Why sharks matter at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Dr Ellen Wiebe - Medical assistance in dying at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, July 02, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Lee Habib - Atheism in Mauritania at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Tuesday, July 04, 2017 at 07:00 PM
- Book Club: The West and the Rest by Roger Scruton at Goldis' Home, Vancouver
Sunday, July 09, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Ann Livingston - Overdose Prevention Society at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver