On Friday, the Victoria Times Columnist published Noreen Campbell's story.
In August, Noreen received approval for medical assistance in dying and she exercised that right last week. Before she died, she spoke out in a video with Dying With Dignity Canada and to the media.
"The idea that suffering is always worthwhile, it’s just beyond me," says Noreen.
Similarly, doctors are starting to speak out about their concerns with the vagueness of the current law.
Dr James Downar spoke to Dying With Dignity after another physician, who had performed an assisted death, started passing patients' requests to him.
"The access issues are extreme," says Dr Downar.
These perspectives are important and we'll undoubtedly hear more over the coming months as we continue to fight for individuals' right to choose.
Calopia's Volunteering in Vancouver Kickoff
Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 2:00 PM
Vancouver Public Library's Peter Kaye Meeting Room.
The BCHA will be part of the very first Calopia event! Calopia events are inspirational gatherings that bring together people looking for volunteers with people looking for a cause. Admission is $5.
Find out more and RSVP on Meetup
New on our website
Publication: Letters to the Editor by a Modern Humanist
A compilation of letters by a past BCHA president. Now available online.
Blog: Feeling so emotional: Why we rage about religion on Facebook
Discussing topics of faith can strike very close to home for those who strongly identify as either religious or anti-religious.
Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Mattias Martens on Populism at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Deborah Littman - Metro Vancouver Alliance at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, February 05, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Patti Bacchus - Public education at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Tuesday, February 07, 2017 at 07:00 PM
- Book Club - The Value of Nothing by Raj Patel at Goldis' Home, Vancouver
Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Elisabeth Ormandy - Animals in Science Policy Institute at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver