The move came after coordinated campaigns to report the pages as offensive triggered Facebook's algorithms to unpublish the pages. This included Atheist Republic, which was started by Vancouver ex-Muslim Armin Navabi and has over 1.6 million likes, including many in Islamic countries.
While Facebook eventually reactivated the pages and apologized, this incident put the page administrators under extreme stress and risked silencing entire communities.
I hope you'll join me in signing the Ex-Muslims of North America petition asking Facebook to take steps to prevent this from happening again.
New on our website
From The Conversation, May 4, 2017
Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Brent Cooper - Abstraction and humanism at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 05:00 PM
- Vancouver Pub Night at Mahony and Sons, Vancouver
Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Gurpreet Singh - Secularism in Vancouver's South Asian community (rescheduled) at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, June 04, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: David Moscrop - Voting & populism at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Tuesday, June 06, 2017 at 07:00 PM
- Book Club: 50 Popular beliefs people think are true by Guy Harrison at Goldis' Home, Vancouver