I think there's a fair amount of evidence which says that such things as prayer would be helpful to people. -Darryl Plecas, MLA
When I presented to the BC Legislature's Health Committee last week, I didn't expect to get into an argument over whether there's any scientific evidence for the legitimacy of intercessory prayers.
Yet after discussing the limitations of spirituality-based treatment programs for many atheists, Abbotsford South MLA Darryl Plecas began arguing that prayer can help "people with all kinds of disorders."
You can read more coverage of the exchange on the Friendly Atheist blog or read the transcript of my presentation.
The entire event was quite an insight into the continued strength of religion in BC politics.
Vancouver Pride Parade & Dyke March
Join us on Sunday, July 31 as we once again march in the annual Vancouver Pride Parade in support and solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community.
This year, in addition to our ever-growing marching contingent, we'll have a table at the Pride Festival on Sunset Beach.
You can RSVP and find full staging details on our website, Facebook or Meetup. There will also be some Humanists marching in the Dyke March on Saturday, July 30.
New on our website
• BCHA asks Health Committee to end religious coercion in addictions recovery
• Pat O'Brien and Jonathan Chan - Meeting of the Minds
Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting - Tarkus Claypool of The Satanic Temple - Seattle Chapter at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 11:00 AM
- Vancouver Dyke March at McSpadden Park, Vancouver
Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Puqun Li on Confucius’ Non-theistic Ethics at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 12:30 PM
- Vancouver Pride Parade at Thurlow Street between Barclay and Nelson, Vancouver
Sunday, August 07, 2016 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting - Graham J. Darling, PhD - Nature and History of Witchcraft at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver