The third Humanist fundamental is:
Humanism supports democracy and human rights. Humanism aims at the fullest possible development of every human being. It holds that democracy and human development are matters of right. The principles of democracy and human rights can be applied to many human relationships and are not restricted to methods of government.
In addition to speaking out for the rights of atheists and Humanists, we have spoken out in favour of LGBTQ+ equality, the rights of sex workers and more generally in support of the proposed Human Rights Commission.
Our democratic commitment extends throughout our governing structure. In a few weeks, we'll be holding our Annual General Meeting (details below) when members elect new directors to our board. We've further recently launched a new members' site to allow our members to submit policy suggestions and to host Humanist events in their community. It's also why we held a debate on BC's upcoming referendum on proportional representation at our Sunday meeting yesterday (look for the podcast later this week if you missed it).
Annual General Meeting
Our 2018 Annual General Meeting will be held on Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM at the Oakridge Seniors' Centre in Vancouver. Doors open at 10:00 AM.
At our AGM, we will elect new directors to our board. The Board consists of 5-8 Directors, who are elected for two-year terms. The Board meets approximately every one to two months to oversee the governance of the Association and to set strategy.
New on our website
- Can we die? from The Conversation
Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 09:30 AM
- Comox Valley meeting at Quality Foods meeting room, Courtenay
Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Vancouver Sunday Meeting: Issues in immigration law - Borderlines podcast live at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 07:00 PM
- Book Club: Democracy and its Crisis by AC Grayling at Goldis' Home, Vancouver
Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Annual General Meeting 2018 at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Vancouver Sunday Meeting: L A Dixon - Exploring Steven Pinker's Brand of Optimism at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver