Students across BC go back to school today. But unfortunately for too many LGBTQ students that means returning to face bullying and harassment.
The good news is that a growing number of public school districts have introduced policies to combat homophobia and transphobia in the classroom. However, there is no province-wide requirement to introduce such a policy and in many of the province's religious independent schools there are no such protections. This is despite the fact the majority of those schools receive significant public funding.
It could be better.
The Government of Alberta is currently reviewing policies by every school in the province to ensure LGBTQ students are protected. This has lead to the Minister threatening to cut funding to two private religious schools that refuse to comply with the law.
Last week we wrote to BC's Minister of Education to ask whether he will similarly act to defend queer students across BC. And we will continue to oppose public funds going to support religious based bigotry.
Karen Garst - The Faithless Feminist
The UBC Freethinkers are kicking off the new semester with a lecture by Dr Karen Garst, also known as The Faithless Feminist. Dr Garst will be talking about archaeological evidence for female goddess worship throughout human history.
The talk is free and open to the public. So come and show your support.
Friday, September 9 at 4 PM at AMS Student Nest Room 2311.
New on our website
• Will BC stand up for LGBTQ rights in religious schools?
• Climate change is threatening national parks from The Conversation
• Questioning the 'miracles' of Saint Teresa from The Conversation
• Joyce Arthur - Crisis Pregnancy Centres in Canada
Tuesday, September 06, 2016 at 07:00 PM
- Book Club: The Mystery of Capital by Hernando de Soto at Goldis' Home, Vancouver
Friday, September 09, 2016 at 04:00 PM
- Dr Karen Garst - The Faithless Feminist at AMS Student Nest Room 2311, Vancouver
Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 11:00 AM
Adopt a Clinic Blood Drive at Canadian Blood Services, Vancouver
Note that all spaces for this month's blood drive have been booked.
Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Gary Bauslaugh on Dying With Dignity - Bill C-14 What Went Wrong at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Brenna Bezanson, PACE Society - Myths, misconceptions & the truth about sex work at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
A Field Guide to Lies
Bestselling author Daniel J Levitin speaks at UBC on Monday, September 19 about his book that deals with critical thinking in the information age.
Et al: The Ultimate Bar Science Night
Vancouver's science-pub night community groups have teamed up for an epic night of science (and drinking) on Tuesday, September 20.
Details and tickets at EventBrite.
An evening with Richard Dawkins and Matt Dillahunty
The Chan Centre at UBC presents Richard Dawkins and Atheist Experience host Matt Dillahunty on Sunday, November 6.