We list the third principle of Humanism as:
Humanism supports democracy and human rights. Humanism aims at the fullest possible development of every human being. It holds that democracy and human development are matters of right. The principles of democracy and human rights can be applied to many human relationships and are not restricted to methods of government.
As part of that aim, we've constantly tried to find ways to increase democratic engagement within our organization.
Since the BCHA was founded in 1984, we've democratically elected our Board of Directors from our membership and sought feedback and involvement from our members and supporters.
Today, I'm excited to invite unveil a new project we've been working on to make it even easier for members to contribute.
Our new members-only site - members.bchumanist.ca - will allow people who have current membership to:
- Create events for other Humanists
- Submit new policy ideas
- Share ideas about organizing local groups
To access the site, first make sure your membership is current, and then you will need to create an account with our system. To do this, simply visit the members' site and enter your email address under "Create an account."
In time, we'll roll out more functionality to this site to allow members across BC to further engage with one another.
Annual General Meeting
Our 2018 Annual General Meeting will be held on Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM at the Oakridge Seniors' Centre in Vancouver. Doors open at 10:00 AM.
At our AGM, we will elect new directors to our board. The Board consists of 5-8 Directors, who are elected for two-year terms. The Board meets approximately every one to two months to oversee the governance of the Association and to set strategy.
Campaign volunteers needed
Over the next few months we'll be working on several major projects and could use some help. If you have a knack for pouring through information online and can work with Google Sheets, let us know on our website and we'll be in touch.
Tuesday, April 03, 2018 at 07:00 PM
- Book Club - Results at the Top by Barbara Annis, RIchard Nesbitt at Goldis' Home, Vancouver
Sunday, April 08, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Trevor Melanson - Clean Energy Canada at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Kate Bird - City on Edge at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 02:00 PM
- Langley & Maple Ridge Humanists Meetup at Blacksmith Bakery, Fort Langley
Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 05:00 PM
- Humanist Happy Hour at Mahony & Sons False Creek, Vancouver
Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Annual General Meeting 2018 at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver