Humanism is the outcome of a long tradition of free thought that has inspired many of the world’s great thinkers and creative artists and gave rise to science itself.
As part of our mission to promote and educate about Humanism, each week over the next seven weeks, I want to share one of our fundamentals of Humanism and how those values are expressed in our work.
1. Humanism is ethical. It affirms the worth, dignity and autonomy of the individual and the right of every human being to the greatest possible freedom compatible with the rights of others. Humanists have a duty of care to all of humanity including future generations. Humanists believe that morality is an intrinsic part of human nature based on understanding and a concern for others, needing no external sanction.
At its core, Humanism is a naturalistic moral framework. Our values for the worth, dignity and autonomy of each individual motivate us to support people's reproductive rights and their right to die with dignity. There's also an element of compassion for all humanity that motivates our commitment to human rights.
This is what has driven our campaigns in support of Dying With Dignity and for a renewed Human Rights Commission in BC. That duty of care is also expressed in our charitable efforts, such as our blood drives, shoreline cleanups and work with food banks.
What do Humanist ethics mean in your life?
Annual General Meeting
Our 2018 Annual General Meeting will be held on Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM at the Oakridge Seniors' Centre in Vancouver. Doors open at 10:00 AM.
At our AGM, we will elect new directors to our board. The Board consists of 5-8 Directors, who are elected for two-year terms. The Board meets approximately every one to two months to oversee the governance of the Association and to set strategy.
New on our website
Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Kate Bird - City on Edge at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 11:00 AM
- Vancouver March for Science at Science World, Vancouver
Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 02:00 PM
- Langley & Maple Ridge Humanists Meetup at Blacksmith Bakery, Fort Langley
Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 05:00 PM
- Humanist Happy Hour at Mahony & Sons False Creek, Vancouver
Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Annual General Meeting 2018 at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver