Last week, the federal government announced nearly a billion dollars in new investments in science in its annual budget.
This follows actions by groups like Evidence for Democracy who have been pushing for a renewed investment in science and research since the last election. Some of you will recall the #SciencePledge we took part in back in 2015.
Evidence for Democracy has more about what this budget means for science.
For Humanists, the budget also talks a lot about promoting equality with new initiatives to close gender gaps in pay, ensure clean drinking water in every community and support the many indigenous children in foster care. Time will tell whether these are any more effective than past efforts.
New on our website
- On Lawrence Krauss and sexual misconduct in atheism by Ian Bushfield
Tuesday, March 06, 2018 at 07:00 PM
- Book Club - No Is Not Enough by Naomi Klein at Goldis' Home, Vancouver
Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Dr Claire Cupples - DNA, genetic variation and evolution at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: M. Asadullah - Restorative Justice at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 02:00 PM
- Maple Ridge Humanists Meetup at Bean Around Books & Tea, Maple Ridge
Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Diane Finegood - Systems thinking in healthcare at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver