Last week, we shared our letter to BC's Minister of Education asking if he'd stand up for LGBTQ rights in BC schools.
On Thursday we got our answer: All public and independent schools will be required to explicitly include sexual orientation and gender identity in their anti-bullying policies.
This is a good first sign but we'll have to see the details to know whether the rights of LGBTQ students will be upheld.
CBC finds majority of rehab centres use 12-step model
A new CBC investigation has found that a majority of rehabilitation facilities across BC use the faith-based 12-step model and many are openly hostile to evidence-based harm reduction models.
This report echoes concerns we raised at the BC Legislature's health committee hearings in June.
Let's hope this is the start of a trend toward ensuring secular and evidence-based treatments are the first option for people with substance use issues.
Read the full details.
New on our website
• Does climate change mean we need to have fewer children? from The Conversation
Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Brenna Bezanson, PACE Society - Myths, misconceptions & the truth about sex work at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Tarkus Claypool - Introduction to The Satanic Temple of Seattle at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, October 02, 2016 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting - Ujjal Dosanjh at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 07:00 PM
- Book Club - Life Ascending by Nick Lane at Goldis' Home, Vancouver
Sunday, October 09, 2016 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Steve Thompson on Bitcoin and Blockchain Technology at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver