[BCHA-Parenting] new to this

Darryl G. Wright darryl at seriousbusiness.ca
Wed Oct 3 13:50:02 CDT 2012

One other thing I wanted to mention in a very general sense --
although I am not 'there yet'. It's always been my plan to try to
inoculate my daughter against the "What?! You're not religious?!"
reaction by explaining to her that some people believe stories to be
true even when they're not necessarily true -- and they're perfectly
free to do so. I would tell her not to be surprised if other people
act shocked or even hostile when she doesn't share those beliefs --
because those beliefs are important and meaningful to them.

I may be naive but it's my hope that I can instil in her the
confidence, understanding and value for critical thinking before she
gets trapped on a road trip with a school friend who's parents are
hymn-singing, sinner-bashing Baptists. (And make no mistake, this
happened to a friend of mine and it will happen to us). From what I
hear, it's never the kids you need to worry about - it's always the
parents who believe they're "doing the right thing" in spite of you.

Another option is to give her something to say like "I'm Humanist".
When you say "I'm atheist" or "I'm not religious" they tend to look at
you like an unpicked fruit - a clean slate on which to scribble the
scriptures. But if you say "I'm Humanist" it will often be viewed as a
"something" they can at least back off from.

I remember when I was about 8 years old there was a girl in my
classroom who told me she was "non-denominational" which was what she
said her other had told her to tell people. I was a raised a
protestant and so at the time I misunderstood her to be saying "Nom
Demonal" which sounded very scary. I never mentioned her (or my)
religion to her again. ;)

Darryl