[BCHA-Parenting] new to this

Darryl G. Wright darryl at seriousbusiness.ca
Wed Oct 3 13:31:10 CDT 2012

Hi Lori,

My wife and I are also fairly new at this - we're non-religious
parents of a 3 year old who has just started daycare. Unfortunately
for us the only daycare we could find on short notice was not just
Church-sponsored but an active Church out-reach, aiming to teach the
toddlers about how they are "expected to love Jesus" etc. So we're not
just talking about 'learning about religion' - which most Humanists
advocate, this is a very straight-forward mission of indoctrination.
It's causing us some stress but we are searching for alternatives.
This is really the first time in our daughters life that we've
experienced such a blatant disregard for secular values and I expect
it won't be the last. I'd love to swap notes at a meetup for parents.

Like Ian said, I'd also recommend "Parenting Beyond Belief". It's a
collection of essays from various secular viewpoints ranging from the
softer Humanist view to the more hardline atheist perspective (to a
lesser extent). So far it's pretty good as an insight into how some
other families work but I haven't found it very practical. I'd
question the degree to which the editor pushes religious education by
sending your children to Unitarian Sunday School but that's more of a
personal preference.

I'd also recommend this:

It's stories focused on handling the holidays but it's also a very
positive and encouraging series of perspectives on how 'normal'
parenting without religion really is.

In terms of "secular childrens books" I'm now part of the camp that
says "Every other book!". That is to say - the entire world of
Childrens books teach values and morals without religion. In fact it's
rare to see any mention of any religion in a childrens book. I am not
sure how old your kids are but I recently read a novel intended for
pre-teen boys called "The Sledding Hill" which has an undeniable
anti-authority / freethinking message. It was pretty good.

Hope that helps,