[BCHA-Parenting] new to this

Carol Puri carollois at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:19:31 CDT 2012

  Hi Lori,

  I am a little further along on the parenting journey than you are, with
three children ages 16, 13 & 9, but this is still a tough one to figure
out.  We are in Cloverdale, and as homeschoolers, are surrounded by
fundamentalist christians who would not be ok with my kids being athiests.
 We just try to live and let live, and I find that the kids never talk
about religion when together anyway.
  The biggest problem for us is how I can talk to their mothers when all
they talk about is church and their next mission.  It is slightly amusing
to me when they lean over conspiratorially and talk about someone who
"isn't even a Christian".  Little do they know. ;)  For the most part, I
try to limit my interactions with these people, which can be kind of
lonely.  It also limits friendships for my kids, which is unfortunate, but
they seem to be happy and I would rather they had fewer friends they can be
themselves around than lots of friends from whom they have to hide their
true selves.  In other words, I have no answer to your question, but lots
of commiseration. :)