Today is Valentine's Day and Atheists in Kenya (AIK) are asking Kenyans to consider dating an atheist this year.
Atheists face particular discrimination in many African nations and even AIK faced difficulty getting the government to recognize their non-profit.
So while their request is tongue-in-cheek, it's done with an aim to normalize non-belief.
Today is also the day in 1989 when Iran's Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued his fatwa against Salman Rushdie. Rushdie also announced his engagement on Valentine's Day five years later.
So take today to celebrate love or to keep challenging norms and authority (or both).
New on our website
Blog: Can more religion in schools be a path to secularism?
Edmonton Public School Board Chair Michael Janz is asking whether his schools can open a Catholic program.
Gord reports from what he learned on a snowy trip to different houses of worship across Surrey.
Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting - David Silverman, President of American Atheists at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Nick Taylor - Humanism, social justice & economics at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Sunday, March 05, 2017 at 10:00 AM
- Sunday Meeting: Mari Swingle - Technology and the brain at Oakridge Seniors Centre, Vancouver
Tuesday, March 07, 2017 at 06:00 PM
- Atheist Nanaimo Monthly Meeting at Vancouver Island Regional Library, Nanaimo
Tuesday, March 07, 2017 at 07:00 PM
- Book Club: Fighting God: An Atheist Manifesto for a Religious World at Goldis' Home, Vancouver