At our Sunday, January 27th meeting, Bob Haxton gave a presentation on the importance of the Bible in the evolution of mankind: from metaphor to mirror neurons, the literary and physiological underpinnings of empathy, the glue of socialization.
Bob's presentation focused on knowledge strung together from the following books.
- Northrup Frye, The Great Code: The Bible as Literature
- Harold Bloom, Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human
- Stephen Pinker, The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature
- E.O. Wilson, The Social Conquest of Earth
- V.S. Ramachandran, The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest for What Makes Us Human.
- Daniel Tammet, Embracing the Wide Sky:A Tour Across the Horizons of the Mind (an autitic savant)
- Benny Shannon, The Antipodes of the Mind: Charting the Phenomenology of the Ayahuasca Experience
- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind: Understanding the Ideas That Have Shaped Our World View
- KTCS' NOVA "Science Now" 10/10/2012 (the connection between making spear points and making language)
- KTCS' Charlie Rose "Brain Series Year 2", 6th episode 05/11/2012 (Autism -Eric Kandel and Uta Frith)
- New Scientist magazine 5 November, 2011 p.35 "Different Minds" (autistic tool-makers)
- Camille Paglia Glittering Images: A Journey through Art from Egypt to Star Wars